[foaf-protocols] W3C WebID review

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 07:42:39 CEST 2010

On 20 August 2010 21:41, Doug Schepers <schepers at w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Clearly, the larger and more cohesive the community, the greater the
> momentum.  But without a central driving force, there's also a wider
> spread of the odds.  A dedicated individual can often have greater
> impact, because they are often working out of passion, not just because
> they are paid to (frequently, they aren't paid at all); they might make
> a really great implementation that pushes the idea over the top, and
> small communities have a "street cred" that large companies usually
> can't evoke; so, a good idea might spread more readily.  But in the long
> haul, or without those initial firebrands, the project might sizzle out,
> and lose its momentum.  From the W3C perspective, probably the optimal
> time to get involved (if we do so at all) is just before the peak of the
> momentum, just before the project really makes it (or fails); that's
> where W3C can help boost the momentum to reach critical mass, and also
> to help ensure that the efforts stay unified and interoperable.
>
> (Yes, that was the short version.)
>

> > There was no invitation. I told people this was probably a private
> > meeting and that the person to make such a decision was Doug. Perhaps
> > indeed I could have gone the other way and first asked Doug.
>
> The outcome of that seems obvious to me.  Was it not predictable to you?
>

> > Did Doug get a lot of emails? Sorry. It is true we are a vibrant
> > community here... I'll be careful next time.
>
> See above.  It's not how many emails I got, it how much I had to work to
> correct mistaken impressions.
>

> > - We worked in public in order to discover the best way to create
> > privacy. - The W3C group, a public standards body of the highest
> > quality, requires privacy to reduce the workload of its members. - In
> > the shadows unexpressed issues lurk - for fear of making them
> > public?
>
> It's not clear to me what you're saying here, but it sounds very scary.
>
> For what it's worth, W3C used to work more privately, but over the past
> few years, it's become much more public in how it conducts its technical
> work; that may *seem* like it increases the workload, but I would argue
> that it offsets the workload from the future to the present, thus
> improving the leverage.  Bad implementations because of mistakes in
> specs cost the community a disproportionate amount of work, and
> ultimately force the groups who've produced successful (but flawed)
> specs to make a lot of difficult errata and corrections (when the
> mistake can be corrected at all), so addressing potential mistakes
> earlier in the standards process, with wide community review, actually
> saves everyone time... even the working group.  (Note: it's still
> frustrating as hell for the WG, don't get me wrong.)
>

> Now, aren't you sorry you brought me into this?  I've taken your nice
> clean technical discussions and muddied them with icky standards gunk
> (believe me, it doesn't come off in the wash), and I'd guess to no-one's

Hi Doug, thanks for taking the time to put across, your point of view.  I'm
sure it was not the intention of anyone on this list to put you, or anyone
at the W3C, in an uncomfortable position.  I for one have taken on board
your comments.  As a group, we can certainly aim to be more thoughtful in
future.

We hope you will be pleasantly surprised at how well aligned the WebID
Protocol is, to both Web Architecture, and to the broader W3C vision.

We'll continue to try and make WebID the best protocol it can be, in order
to help enable the Web to continue its success, in a way that is accessible
to the broadest possible demographic.