[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Aug 24 04:37:55 CEST 2010

On 08/22/2010 05:12 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> So we need to make sure that the message presented at the W3C does
> justice to what WebID is about, in the very short time allotted
> there to us. How much time is it in fact?

I agree... but we only have about 5 minutes... then 10 minutes for the
demo, then the rest of the time must be spent discussing alternatives
like OpenID, WebFinger, .well-known, etc. I think I've got it narrowed
down to the key talking points. I did go over the entire presentation
with Henry over this past weekend, but if you (Henry) feel that we
didn't discuss something, then please do let me know so that I can
include it.

Just hit me up on Wednesday (this goes for anybody that would like to
raise some points about the talk - Skype: msporny), so we can touch base
on some of the issues of concern. Keep in mind that we only have about
5-10 minutes to talk specifically about WebID, so we're not going to be
able to fit it all in - we must focus on the one or two defining aspects
of WebID.

Seth Russell wrote:
> Should that happen we will all benefit, none the less the giant
> corporations ... the same argument applied to the birth of the
> Internet itself.  Does the W3C have the courage to push that agenda
> or not?   So,  do you think that is a point that needs making?

W3C has a duty to lead the Web to its full potential - that's their
motto. I don't think the point needs making - they get it... especially
Doug, who is chairing the meeting. If I hear otherwise during the
meeting, I'll make sure to make a point of it - but I don't think we
need to do so at this point in time.

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Any chance that you can put out a draft presentation for us to look at.
> This is vital.

The slides that I've prepared for the presentation are here:

http://payswarm.com/slides/webid/

> I am also assuming you [Henry] are going to drive the WebID presentation
> (not anyone else)?

I'll be driving the presentation and Henry will be there to correct any
mistakes that I make :). He'll also ensure that this community's work,
history and goals are well represented. I expect that I will drive most
of the presentation and Henry will be fielding much of the Q/A.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: WebID - Universal Login for the Web
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/08/07/webid/2/