[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Aug 24 06:41:42 CEST 2010

  On 8/23/10 10:37 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 08/22/2010 05:12 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> So we need to make sure that the message presented at the W3C does
>> justice to what WebID is about, in the very short time allotted
>> there to us. How much time is it in fact?
> I agree... but we only have about 5 minutes... then 10 minutes for the
> demo, then the rest of the time must be spent discussing alternatives
> like OpenID, WebFinger, .well-known, etc. I think I've got it narrowed
> down to the key talking points. I did go over the entire presentation
> with Henry over this past weekend, but if you (Henry) feel that we
> didn't discuss something, then please do let me know so that I can
> include it.
>
> Just hit me up on Wednesday (this goes for anybody that would like to
> raise some points about the talk - Skype: msporny), so we can touch base
> on some of the issues of concern. Keep in mind that we only have about
> 5-10 minutes to talk specifically about WebID, so we're not going to be
> able to fit it all in - we must focus on the one or two defining aspects
> of WebID.
>
> Seth Russell wrote:
>> Should that happen we will all benefit, none the less the giant
>> corporations ... the same argument applied to the birth of the
>> Internet itself.  Does the W3C have the courage to push that agenda
>> or not?   So,  do you think that is a point that needs making?
> W3C has a duty to lead the Web to its full potential - that's their
> motto. I don't think the point needs making - they get it... especially
> Doug, who is chairing the meeting. If I hear otherwise during the
> meeting, I'll make sure to make a point of it - but I don't think we
> need to do so at this point in time.
>
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Any chance that you can put out a draft presentation for us to look at.
>> This is vital.
> The slides that I've prepared for the presentation are here:
>
> http://payswarm.com/slides/webid/
>
>> I am also assuming you [Henry] are going to drive the WebID presentation
>> (not anyone else)?
> I'll be driving the presentation and Henry will be there to correct any
> mistakes that I make :). He'll also ensure that this community's work,
> history and goals are well represented. I expect that I will drive most
> of the presentation and Henry will be fielding much of the Q/A.

Manu,

The presentation is fine.

I have one little issue. The demo, your platform demo,  isn't one I
would call representative of WebID's essence.

A WebID demo should simply be a URI that enables login/signup using
WebIDs generated by any WebID protocol compliant platform.  A more
neutral demonstration of WebID prowess resides at:
https://ophelia.g5n.co.uk:10443/cheese/

> -- manu

President&  CEO