[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C

Seth Russell russell.seth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 18:16:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Stéphane Corlosquet
<scorlosquet at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>wrote:
>
>> The slides that I've prepared for the presentation are here:
>>
>> http://payswarm.com/slides/webid/
>

> from http://payswarm.com/slides/webid/#(5)<http://payswarm.com/slides/webid/#%285%29>
>
> > "OpenID isn't quite decentralized - requires the identity provider to be
> available at all times"
>
> This should be reworded. WebID suffers from the same shortcoming: if your
> WebID URI does not dereference or if your WebID Profile document is down,
> you cannot log in. That's something the multiple SAN URIs could solve:
> http://github.com/msporny/webid-spec/issues#issue/2
>
> Steph.

Can't a web site use the WebID to allow a client to "log in" whether the
"Profile document" is online or not?  Sure the site cannot verify the
document, but that verification need not be required for each log in.   Have
we required the verification on each login?  Why would we do that?   Why
would we purposefully make our WebID less reliable?  What am i missing here?

Seth Russell
Podcasting: tagtalking.net
Facebook ing: facebook.com/russell.seth
Twitter ing: twitter.com/SethRussell
Blogging: fastblogit.com/seth/
Catalog selling: www.speaktomecatalog.com
Google profile: google.com/profiles/russell.seth