[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C

Joe Presbrey presbrey at csail.mit.edu
Tue Aug 24 23:22:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> Great, so apparently there will be 15 minutes to present these slides.
>>
>> This idea was to follow this by 10 minutes to demonstrate Manu's solution, under the heading of WebID. I am arguing that this is a bit much for a solution that we have no interoperation for, and have not considered. My argument there is that a 3 minute screencast should be more than enough.
>
> Sorry, but I still don't get the elevation of Manu's solution to
> definitive demo status re. WebID.
>
> Manu: no offense intended here, but this simply doesn't feel right at all.

Agreed. I think it would be a sad waste of WebID's 15 minutes to
mention Javascript or Flash.

Maybe I misunderstand but, my view of your JS/Flash is as a workaround
for browsers who have not yet refined their SSL client UI. WebID needs
to be in the browser. Much of the trust/security of the primary
request is lost when the WebID-authn/TLS process is encapsulated as
JS/Flash subrequests.  +extra round trips, etc.  eek!  Was this
omission on purpose?  OTOH, this is a huge advantage we have over the
other authn solutions and should leveraged and mentioned.

Also agreed with Steph on decentralization !~ availability.