[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C - WebId+Flash

Dave Longley dlongley at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Aug 25 04:57:48 CEST 2010

On 08/24/2010 09:53 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>    On 8/24/10 9:13 PM, Dave Longley wrote:
>
>> On 08/24/2010 08:11 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>
>>> There is still a lot we need to understand about the WebId+Flash protocol. I do think there could be something very interesting there btw. But we need to understand the whole idea much better.
>>>
>>> Here are a few issues that came up recently
>>>
>>> If I go to

>>> It tells me that my webid is
>>>
>>>      http://webid.digitalbazaar.com/demo/ids/1944828261
>>>
>>> But that URL does not lead anywhere
>>>

>> This was not originally part of the demonstration. Since this had been
>> proven by other Web ID demos it was omitted because it would just be
>> repeating what we already knew worked properly. The Web ID
>> authentication process can be broken down like so:
>>
>> Client-side:
>>
>> 1. Certificate generation.
>> 2. Certificate selection.
>> 3. TLS Certificate authentication (presentation of a certificate within
>> TLS).
>>
>> Server-side:
>>
>> 1. Dereferencing the Web ID URL, doing sparql query to get the public
>> key and compare it with the one presented by the client, etc.
>>
>> The demo was meant to show the *user experience* of using a Web ID to
>> authenticate and prove that it was possible to replace the client-side
>> part of Web ID with JS/Flash (instead of whatever UI your particular web
>> browser used). This user experience, as far as typical authentication is
>> concerned, does not change regardless of the server-side authentication
>> process.
>>
> Yes, but is the user experience the key point re. W3C presentation?

I think without it, it's an extremely tough sell. People want to know
what the average experience of a user of the technology will be like --
so they can determine whether or not the technology has a chance of
being adopted. It's understandable that the technology will evolve and
get better over time, but it's a far stronger sell when there's
something attractive, as far as user experience is concerned, to begin with.

Showing how the technology might look, coupled with explaining all of
the fantastic things it can do in the future is a good approach. I think
leaving either one of these things out could result in some very
negative feedback. It's great that Web ID can bring so much to the table
in the future, however, we've got to enable a process to get us there
first. It isn't a single step.

> I see and grok your innovation re. negating the browser and its UI
> idiosyncrasies, and this is indeed a cool innovation. It just isn't the
> most important thing re. WebID value prop. to the W3C.
>

>> For instance, if I were to go to the cheese website that Kingsley
>> offered as an example of Web ID and selected a Web ID using my web
>> browser, I would not see anything happening other than an interaction
>> with my browser UI. That would be my user experience.
>>
> That's the beauty of the link and WebID. It's Jedi technology (like most
> of HTTP).
>
> You entered a data space, it recognized you (in a verifiable way) then
> let you do something in the space.
>
> WebID is about eliminating the authentication form, completely, as user
> agents explore data spaces on the Web (social or anti social).
>

>> If you log into the fake "socialswarm" website, you only see the UI that
>> is driven with JS and Flash. What happens on the server side is nearly
>> identical in both processes and, for neither of them, does the user see
>> what is happening.
>>
> You shouldn't really have to log in. The data space has its rules about
> who comes in and what they can do. Its like a party, the data space
> provider might give the bouncer specific instructions about invitees and
> how they are verified etc..

I'm using the term "login" more liberally than I think I originally put
across. By "login" I mean identifying yourself to a website/service.
There is going to need to be some user interaction to make this happen,
whether that is a UI in your browser or a UI on a web page. We wouldn't
want to force people to use a single Web ID for all of their
interactions with various data spaces -- and we wouldn't want to assume
we know which one they'd like to use without their input. They might
even change their mind at a latter point in time or get a new Web ID
provider. There has to be a user interface to allow people to select how
they wish to identify themselves ... and that interface is what I'm
referring to as "login."

There doesn't have to be a username or password (like traditional login)
and you don't need to be asking someone all that often for their
credentials (very rarely, in fact -- and much of it could be automated
but it still requires *some* user input).

People who are interested in Web ID are going to want to know all about
the problems it solves and new doors it opens. But they are also going
to want to know the basics for how its used to authenticate them with a
service and what their experience would be before they will necessarily
have any interest in what the future may hold. Without any idea of how
that experience will unfold ... there's no clear path to the future.

Dave Longley
CTO
Digital Bazaar, Inc.
Phone: 540-961-4469