[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C - WebId+Flash

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Aug 25 07:16:01 CEST 2010

On 08/24/2010 11:33 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> There has to be a user interface to allow people to select how they
>> wish to identify themselves ... and that interface is what I'm
>> referring to as "login."
>
> Yes. And there is no definitive solution. The important thing is to
> offer choices. My issues is that you and Manu seem to assume all
> alternatives are flawed, which I simply don't agree with. The plurality
> that exists re. WebID is a strength; thus multiple approaches to the
> issue of identity selection is a strong feature. You can't put all
> browsers in a single bucket. Likewise, you can't designate your
> innovation as the definitive solution esp. when its based on Flash.

Kinsgley, take a step back - we are not assuming that all alternatives
are flawed, we agree with you - many approaches are good. We don't know
which ones are going to succeed. Our alternative assumes a set of
premises that you don't assume. If we are wrong, you are successful. If
you are wrong, we are successful. However, we both want WebID to
succeed, therefore, if either you or we are successful, WebID is successful.

We have never, ever stated that the Javascript + Flash WebID demo is
/the/ definitive solution. In fact, Henry is hopefully going to have a
video completed of the entire process - so both approaches can be
demonstrated.

It is a demo - that is all. The goal of the demo is to get work started
at W3C on identity on the Web. It demonstrates how easily cross-browser
login could be... that's it.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: WebID - Universal Login for the Web
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/08/07/webid/2/