[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C

Dave Longley dlongley at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Aug 25 08:55:13 CEST 2010

On 08/25/2010 01:05 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 08/24/2010 12:41 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> I have one little issue. The demo, your platform demo,  isn't one I
>> would call representative of WebID's essence.
>>
>> Sorry, but I still don't get the elevation of Manu's solution to
>> definitive demo status re. WebID.
>>
>> Manu: no offense intended here, but this simply doesn't feel right at
>> all.
>>
> No offense taken. However, I should point out that it is our demo that
> was the basis for this meeting with the W3C this coming Thursday. One of
> the things they were expecting to see was a demo of WebID - and that was
> supposed to be a small part of an overall demonstration on Identity on
> the Web.
>
> I've also been talking with Henry and he said that he'd have a more
> representativve WebID demo as a 2-3 minute video ready by the time that
> we present. I've already said that we'd integrate that into the slide deck.
>
> Re: the Js+Flash WebID demo, we have tried to be true to the WebID spec
> as it stands right now. Specifically, this section:
>
> http://payswarm.com/webid/#authentication-sequence
>
> We do steps #1-#4 right now. #5 and #6 is something we're working on,
> but has been proven already via other implementations... it's just a
> matter of hooking up an RDF/XML parser or XHTML+RDFa parser and doing a
> query on the resulting graph.

Just finished some quick coding. The JS/Flash demo does a sparql query
to retrieve the modulus and exponent of the public key from the web ID
URL RDF (after obtaining it over https) and checks them against the
public key from the certificate provided by the client. This should
cover steps #5 and #6 now.

The RDF stuff is done using PHP's librdf bindings. We need to throw
together a tar.gz of the full source, but some of the utility functions
are publically visible on the server right now, e.g:

https://payswarm.com/webid-demo/check_public_key.inc
https://payswarm.com/webid-demo/get_webid_rdf.inc

It isn't the most robust code ever written, but it currently gets the
job done for the demo and those links might be of some use for anyone
working on Web ID authentication stuff in PHP.

Almost 100% of the source for the http://webid.digitalbazaar.com example
Web ID provider can be viewed immediately (since it is mostly javascript
and html).

--
Dave Longley
CTO