[foaf-protocols] WebID talk at W3C - WebId+Flash

Henry Story henry.story at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 10:11:26 CEST 2010

On 25 Aug 2010, at 06:16, Manu Sporny wrote:
> [snip]
> We have never, ever stated that the Javascript + Flash WebID demo is
> /the/ definitive solution. In fact, Henry is hopefully going to have a
> video completed of the entire process - so both approaches can be
> demonstrated.
>
> It is a demo - that is all. The goal of the demo is to get work started
> at W3C on identity on the Web. It demonstrates how easily cross-browser
> login could be... that's it.

And when the authentication piece is implemented, it will do that very well! :-) For the moment it shows how a button looks like on a web site that says login.

What it does not do, because it fails on the interoperability test, is that it does not allow you to login to foaf.me. And that is for all it's limitations still the most important demo we have.

The fact that you can login to a site and that it can know your friends, and their friends friends, etc... that is what is revolutionary about WebID! Especially as those friends don't have to all be hosted on the same domain.

  That is my key point here:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994DvSJZyww&feature=channel

So your demo shows one small part of the WebID value proposition, and the problem is - though perhaps we can together get this sorted today and start presenting a unified front - that it does not show why the small piece has such potential.

  Henry