[foaf-protocols] Consensus on Web Identity presentation to W3C

Henry Story henry.story at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:44:13 CEST 2010

On 25 Aug 2010, at 22:14, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>> =Slide 6=
>> If we're presenting the *protocol*, strike at least 'Inability to
>> logout'. This is an application-specific limitation (as is
>> user-interface and browser-anything). See:
>> http://tabulator.org/wiki/webID-required/
>> for an example of WebID Login+Logout in my *application*.
>
> Yep! I didn't grok the logout issue either.

Well we want to get the browser vendors to fix this bug. It is really easy to fix, and would really make a huge difference. If only one of those vendors does a good job, we could the do some good advertising for it, and my guess is that most of the others will soon follow.

But yes, we need to explain that this is not a protocol problem, but a user agent problem. That is why that slide points to a bug report. That bug report is a bug even without WebId.

I think there are a number of workarounds for this bug, each with advantages and disadvantages. Working these out in detail is going to be a bit of a tedious task, and the result will be some  AJAX like patchwork of solutions. It will take time to discover and bundle these into software. Manu's work may be a very effective temporary workaround to this issue, that we need to compare with a number of other solutions. We need to investigate it in more detail over the coming months.

  I also thought it was important that we also be critical of WebID, so that the presentation can be even handed between all the different protocols.