[foaf-protocols] WebID JS/Flash import and export functionality

Dave Longley dlongley at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Aug 25 23:50:59 CEST 2010

On 08/25/2010 05:07 PM, Joe Presbrey wrote:
> IFRAME-based authentication is not REST-ful. Isn't there any other/better way?

Yes, the JS/Flash is a user agent. Load the JS/Flash and then do
XmlHttpRequests to the URLs you want to hit. See the forge project on
github for details, it's all open source.

http://github.com/digitalbazaar/forge

The demo shows how WebID can be integrated into existing websites that
involve a typical user experience. It lets cookies take over
authentication after the first WebID pass. One advantage of this
approach is that it saves websites from having to cache public keys.
This might result in less state being maintained by a server. Not to
mention that modern websites are already accustomed to cookie
authentication. But, of course, that doesn't mean every site has to work
that way, it's just one way that WebID could be helped forward.

If there is some WebID-enabled API you want to interact with then you
can write a webapp in JS that makes use of forge to communicate with
that API. You can customize it however you'd like. No iframes necessary.

Dave Longley
CTO
Digital Bazaar, Inc.
Phone: 540-961-4469