[foaf-protocols] webid-linked claim verification?

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Thu Aug 26 20:53:39 CEST 2010

  On 8/26/10 11:25 AM, Seth Russell wrote:
> Well, actually, as a website owner, i don't want to be  discerning
> anything.  All i really want to do is just send messages to my clients.

Yes, but wouldn't it be even better if you sent the message via their
preferred channel? Today, we have email, Twitter DMs, LinkedIn, Jabber,
Skype etc.. to name a few.

>    I want all that discerning to be out of my sight and concern and
> totally under the client's control.

So the client prefers Skype at a certain point in the day, week, month
etc.. And this is when you want to communicate, what happens? They've
indicated thir preferred mechanism, but its in their data space
somewhere (but discoverable via the graph that is the data space).

> That is my real point here.  And, when you think about it,  if the
> libraries take the approach of factoring all that discerning into the
> control of the client and just let the website send (and perhaps
> recieve) messages from the client,  then all that magic we want can
> evolve in the libraries and my web development code can be left
> alone.   Me thinks this is a path to a faster evolution for all those
> wonderful WebID benefits that are being touted.

This is just one of those things that works best via a deliverable. When
I am ready I'll just show it. This sometimes works better re. different
routes to the same destination :-)

Kingsley

> [...]
>>         account"; selecting from MSN, Yahoo, AIM, or Jabber/XMPP.
>>         Actually
>>         these things are increasingly linked to general Web profiles,
>>         but at
>>         least Jabber/XMPP would be particularly interesting. So you'd
>>         type in
>>         your chat address, let's say johnsmith at gmail.com
>>         <mailto:johnsmith at gmail.com> for a Google Talk
>>         one, but these can also be self-hosted XMPP servers eg.
>>         danbri at foaf.tv <mailto:danbri at foaf.tv>. The service would
>>         send a roster join request to that
>>         user, and if accepted, could send a click-to-verify link much
>>         as with
>>         the email example.
>>
>>         e.g. 4.) More stuff! There are no natural limits to the kinds of
>>         claims that could be verified, or the methods applied. This
>>         is the
>>         charm and the burden of the Semantic  Web; it's completely
>>         general.
>>         But fact checking is hard, so there is value in picking off
>>         the more
>>         mechanisable pieces; mobile phone / SMS numbers could be a
>>         natural
>>         next step.
>>
>>         There are a lot of 'claim graph analytics' you can do with
>>         this sort
>>         of data, especially when linked with other social Web data (quite
>>         naturally in named graphs, when managed in SPARQL). This is
>>         the same
>>         kind of machinery offered by
>>         http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/
>>         ... although SGAPI deals more with public crawlable
>>         assertions. If we
>>         assume the possibility of a simple Web app that allows users to
>>         demonstrate simultaneous control over multiple accounts, the
>>         natural
>>         next question is re what it does with that info. Some of it
>>         could be
>>         simply published in public (signed, date stamped etc.) or made
>>         available over some public lookup API.
>>
>>         eg. it could just emit a 'verified claims' file with simple
>>         statements, ...
>>         <http://example.com/johnsmith#me> a :Person; :account
>>         <http://twitter.example.com/johnsmith>; :account
>>         <http://facebook.example.com/jsmith/> ...
>>
>>         Such info could be used as a grounding for more trust, eg. my
>>         blog
>>         comments system could allow webid-based commenting, and
>>         auto-accept
>>         posts that came from people whose twitter or facebook IDs I
>>         know, even
>>         if I've not seen their webid before. Some such tool seems to
>>         me worth
>>         building, both to show that these service activities will
>>         still exist
>>         in a WebID world, they're just not core duties of an identity
>>         provider. But also to counter some of the concerns I've seen
>>         raised
>>         about self-asserted ID. Is there anything out there like this

President&  CEO