[foaf-protocols] dtls + DNSsec + FOAF+SSL + google + Dane

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sun Dec 12 22:27:30 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Kingsley Idehen
<kidehen at openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/10 11:44 AM, peter williams wrote:

> Im not sure why you think a webid with IP address is a world “without DNS”.
> Each IP address is just a reverse-DNS name.
>
> Because it is.
>
> I can have <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> or IP
> Address + "#this" with similar effect re. access to my structured profile en
> route to locating a public key post successful TLS/SSL handshake. DNS is
> just an option. No rule exists for the shape and form of my WebID bar
> resolution to a structured profile that's associated with public key.

I understood Peter to be saying something along lines of  "you can
take dns names out of Web addresses, but that doesn't take the dns out
of the Web addressing ecosystem that the name lives in".

More specifically, I get ec2-75-101-141-105.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
by plugging 75.101.141.105 into the nslookup utility, presumably
allowing me to exploit other metadata attached to that name. Although
you can write RDF statements using dns-less URIs, they're still quite
intimately linked to that system in other ways.

But yup, I take your point.

cheers,

Dan