[foaf-protocols] dtls + DNSsec + FOAF+SSL + google + Dane

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:48:52 CET 2010

On 12 December 2010 17:44, peter williams <home_pw at msn.com> wrote:
> If the incubator project is to attract the interest of the TLS types, as
> sought, it has to be on grounds other than: isn’t the semweb/foaf so special
> that you all come flock to our shores begging us for the implications of its
> special relativity that facilitate scalable identity management for all. If
> foaf theory was that special, that would have happened by now.

Incubator is normally to get thoughts together and liaise with parties
that may have an interest, in preparation or a working group and
finally a rec.

In our case, we're fairly well advanced, so it's a good starting
point, and gives us a chance to talk to intereted parties, and improve
presentation etc. based on feedback.

> As it stands, the next big think in the commercial web is probably going to
> be microsoft cloud-hosting activeDirectory instances for all comers, much as
> they added sql instance hosting. Google/Yahoo + internet2/USG
> websso/trust-policy crowd are trying to compete against ldaps with
> signed-XRDs, profiling the old XRDS/XRI protocol to meet web2.0 culture  -
> much as netscape updated IETF’s ldapv1  into ldapv3 - enabling
> (paradoxically) microsoft’s AD to go mainstream. All these cloud hosted
> images of “zones” and partitions of classes/attributes work of course with
> multi-mastering, replication and caching. The local LAN can also host a
> blade in the edge router at home, which supports either a multi-mastered
> image of the zone/partition, or locally-resigned secondary resources (more
> likely, using suitably-designed counter-signature technology). The
> technology to do all this is here, and economic in about 1 more year (once
> the wifi router’s USB ports convert the router into a home “blade servers”).

MS are huge on the 'cloud'.  Lots to come in this area, I think we're
only at the very beginning.

> Im not sure why you think a webid with IP address is a world “without DNS”.
> Each IP address is just a reverse-DNS name. Its bound to the name at the
> ISP, when authorizing the flow of IP packets onto the public net. Consumer
> PCs using broadband don’t get any choice whether this name exists or not, or
> whether its published (or what records exist binding that name at time t to
> the very real ATM path over the local loop from ISP to the
> uniquely-identified DSL modem ASIC in the particular router).
>

> I think of FOAF (the project) as distinct from semweb generally, as it
> assume everyone hosts their own [named\addressed] website, on their own
> access point. That is, it’s the opposite of centralizing huge triple stores
> in a google or Microsoft cloud -  which divorces folks from control over
> their own data. In the true FOAF space, one has to harmonize that political
> theory with trends that make it PRACTICAL for grandma now to run her own
> website hosting her foaf card (and its got to be no harder than the tech
> installing the home DSL modem talking ATM to the ISP, while also setting up
> the other ATM path to the digital TV content provider….)

FOAF is a semweb vocabulary.

The first web was a web of documents, and has been quite successful.
The next layer involves data, and that was planned from the begging.
FOAF/WebID is just a universal way of marking up something that
represents a Person, their profile details, and some of their
relationships.

The idea of this is that it enables a social layer to be added to the
web in a universal way.  Remember universal does not mean unique.  The
power of universal is that it allows interoperability.  Either with
other universa social systems, or with other components, such as web
of trust, geolocation, entertainment, data.gov etc.

It's designed to be used in a central or decentral way, depending on
the implementation.  The universal nature gives not restriction.
However, it does find itself in a sweet spot that it's probably one of
the better decentral ID system out there.  Facebook or Google could
adopt FOAF tomorrow.  I would ecnourage them to do that, as it would
give them a competative advantage.

Grandma need not know what she's using, but hopefully she has a nice
grandson that will let her use safe, secure technologies that give her
the freedom to do what she wants and needs to do! :)