[foaf-protocols] wordpress, help!

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Dec 14 08:37:21 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:03 AM, peter williams <home_pw at msn.com> wrote:
> Microsoft/MSN have forced me to join the modern world (that is, the world
> post HailSturm for Windows 95); and move my blog to wordpress.  It’s now on
> http://yorkporc.wordpress.com/.

Congratulations! Maybe worth paying their smallish(?) fee to attach
your own domain name, in case you feel the urge to move again
elsewhere?

> SO, I celebrated the move by translating an Assange essay that a bunch of
> syndicated flacks find unfathomable, apparently.  It’s actually a damn sight
> better written than most of the crap that folks used to write on
> cypherpunks. But, to be fair to the American journalists in the flack flock
> as they punge their daggers into Caesar, it is not written in standard
> American essay form (topic sentences, 3 facts per paragraph, etc). The
>  essay’s underlying topic was really about navigating trust and confidence
> in global spaces, as seen from the haven of local IRC chat channels in which
> subcultures like hacking thrive. For this reason, its relevant to us (as is
> the whole wikileaks saga, which is nicely fissuring the net as we knew it).
>

> Anyways, next goal is: get the openid stuff working. Then, understand what
> wordpress offers me re FOAF vocab (if anything). If there is neither openid
> nor FOAF, that’s probably telling us something.

So you're on hosted Wordpress, not your own installation, which cuts
down the options. AFAIK they don't currently publish FOAF, but
Wordpress.com pages probably include XFN and hCard, which are
in-some-ways-similar formats with more emphasis on ease of
publication, and less on having an underlying and decentralised data
model. Matt Mullenweg, one of the Wordpress founders, was also one of
the people behind XFN.
http://microformats.org/wiki/history-of-microformats

For OpenID, http://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/openid/ suggests
you (sharing with other admins of your blog, if any) can use
http://yorkporc.wordpress.com/ as an OpenID. I don't think they are an
OpenID consumer yet.

cheers,