[foaf-protocols] Fwd: W3C Provenance Incubator Group Final Report

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 05:16:53 CET 2010

On 15 December 2010 05:05, peter williams <home_pw at msn.com> wrote:
> So here is what I liked about the report: It was non-technology centric.
>
> It also seemed to imply that several web-centric techniques (DOM trees,
> nodesets, etc) could be improved upon so as to facilitate the processing and
> logics being contemplated.
> Lots of disciplines would be addressed if practice methods were to result
> (and those methods are not only related to web engineering, or social
> networking). Long term study topics found typically in law and social
> studies were nicely captured; covering attribution theory, origination, the
> basis of records and recordation, to contracts and negotiations.
>
> I didn't like its explicit theory of trust, but I've never found trust to be
> a tractable concept. Is best left as a conversational allusion. Or, if one
> must, it's an implication of assurance theory. One can speak of
> trustworthiness, however.

We're still right at the beginning of trust.  I think we can do some
trust with with WebID and FOAF over the course of 2011.  Maybe
bootstrap some of the existing tool chains too.

> They seemed to have totally missed assertions, claims, and evidences - all
> the stuff upon which SAML and openid are founded. Similarly, classical
> analyses that exploits concrete data structures and domain organization
> seemed to be explicitly avoided, sacrificed on the altar of hinting at
> abstract reasoning. Policy administration/management as an instrument of
> deciding and executing logics seemed to be a non-existent topic. Overall,
> any and all practical engineering topics got short shrift. So absent was it,
> one might assume it was intentional.

RDF tripes are global scope assertions.  Quads I guess, are triples
qualified with some provenance.  W3C is relatively light on SAML /
OpenID experts, so we're lucky to have a few people on the list with
that experience.  The WebID XG will be a good opportunity for everyone
to get up to speed, and liaise with other groups.

> But, I enjoyed it. It's a credit to W3C - an organization Im finally
> starting to understand. It seemed to do exactly what it set to do as an
> incubator report: capture an agenda, and characterize who might care enough
> about the topic to contribute.

Best way, IMHO, to understand W3C from 50,000 ft is to read through
some of Design Issues

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/

Philosophically I think it can be summed up by saying that the Web is
a Universal space (Universal does not mean unique) designed with
tolerance in mind.

If you skim one of these a week (pick at random), I think you can only
be blessed with deep insight, a really good understanding of what The
Web is about, and how we've only just started.