[foaf-protocols] WebID Incubator Charter draft

Stéphane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:06:49 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Nathan <nathan at webr3.org> wrote:

> Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> >> Suppose you want to resume the offshoot of "PEM certificate- was
> >> cert:public_key" discussion, where Henry proposed a way of making WebID
> >> independent on RDF.
> >> I have previously though this is a good idea, but then I realized a
> >> functional mistake and considering all options, I think using RDF with
> >> one required serialization is best. The discussion and my previous
> >> opinion can be traced from the following message:
> >>
> http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2010-October/003936.html
> >>

> > You describe an implementer decision re. RDF. We can't make such
> > assertions re. Semantics of the Protocol.
> >
> > We must keep Syntax and Semantics distinct. Must also keep Spec and
> > Implementations distinct etc..
> >
> > Our own WebID implementations are RDF based, we use RDF/XML extensively
> > for some very sophisticated things, but none of this justifies forcing
> > it into WebID spec (overtly or covertly).
> >
> > I push-back on RDF for good reasons, in due course, may actions will
> > become much clearer re. efforts such as Linked Data and WebID.
>
> Exactly, WebID is insanely interesting because it potentially sits on
> the intersection of virtually every web, device and network technology
> known, and thus brings experts and people interested in those
> technologies together, if anything, that's WebIDs most endearing feature
> and makes it an epic win, to remove this factor and tie to something so
> specific as RDF/XML would imho, be tragic.
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan

Well put Nathan, keeping it open to more than just RDF will attract more
groups and experts who won't see it as another mean to push for RDF (which
tend to scare some people off). although many of us see WebID/RDF as a good
fit, that's just us... others will come with their own flavors of WebID/X as
long as interoperability is kept in mind.

Steph.