[foaf-protocols] WebID - mandated syntax or market solution? was WebID Incubator Charter draft

peter williams home_pw at msn.com
Sat Dec 18 20:28:28 CET 2010

I quite like the notion of "no webID without linked data." It's essentially the hypermedia thesis.

The trouble is linked data is religiously tied to http, according to TBL (which really means TCP-era HTTP).

That’s too restrictive for webIDs, I feel (intuitively). Its backwards looking; more mosaic-era thinking.

I want to be able to ask questions about a group of folks using a multicast powered FOAF "protocol" - just like I do already in crypto-powered SIP groups using ISAKMP handshakes (vs SSL's handshakes).

That group needs a "multicast capable' webid. And, the webid protocol would need to leveraging "http over multicast" - which doesn’t exist as far as I know.

Now, I don’t expect this XG to recommend we get to characterize http-over-multicast de-ferencing of FOAF group identifiers.... I think I do expect the agenda to contemplate and communicate via the final report the legitimacy of such, even though you only actually get demos of mosaic-era plugins doing simple TCP queries, today...