[foaf-protocols] WebID - mandated syntax or market solution? was WebID Incubator Charter draft

peter williams home_pw at msn.com
Sun Dec 19 00:12:34 CET 2010

I don’t mind the notion that: webid shall fit into the common browser so using it feels as natural as all the other UI features we have all used so frequently we no longer even recognize their meaning.

This is a useful test - much like a legal test case that to become a standard has to pass the common law test: whether its distinct result fits with the naturalness embodied by all the previous cases on similar facts, but one particularly characteristic fact.

So, we somehow need to dispose of the notion of the universal browser as the one and only metaphor, without denying the universalizing benefits of the browser that define what the [current] web is (because it is that which is reachable from *that* browser, which then interacts with that 'resource' - SORRY, thing).

I find myself challenged tho to be honest; and I don’t have to look very far. I might ask: is the server cert for https URIs a universal (in browsers)?

The answer there is: surely no. IE imposes a trust model on https URLs (and implements a p3p-related integration with said trust model, particularly in the cases of websso cookies of various types) that Mozilla just does not. Similarly for IE, what is "valid" in https server certs when used in a browser is different to what is valid when the very same https URI is used in other windows (but non-IE) contexts (other than those apps containing the IE activeX control).

It's not well known that the IE activeX control (used natively, or in the IE frame folks normally see) has its own cert processing logic, not shared with all other (https) consumers of the common internet/web libraries built into the platform. That is, don't assume that the https URI ref from an RSS [semweb-lite] feed that is followed by outlook is treated the same as the very same https URI used in a (1) browser plugin from third party, or (2) the mythical universal browser.