[foaf-protocols] foaf.me with https, vs http

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Jan 21 00:46:50 CET 2010

Thanks. That helps.

I've implemented scenario B to demo level (and A is a given). I have not implemented the combination of A and B (which feels like a cute demo, for showcasing). Since my demo is supposed to be rigorously RESTful, I have no notion of web session (only persistent "transport sessions" that are provided by SSL in a manner transparent to the web layer). There is no notion of being "logged in", and thus one cannot the RP cannot signal the IDP to destroy its persistent transport session (SSL of course) with the windows desktop.

The only things missing in supporting B is the ability to (a) actually verify the RSA signatures (which I'm debugging), support the exception cases of the state machines disclosed on the spec page, and implement some window for accepting the timestamp . (There is no evidence of an anti-replay requirement, requiring caching, making the scheme essentially equivalent to the 1-pass strong auth mechanism documented in X.509 1988). I'm not sure how much of an official proposal foafssl.org's message decls and states are, though. It's mostly a demo of a "nominal" token asserting IDP using a redirect binding, from what I can tell. Its rather similar to the OASIS "simple signing" binding of SAML, of course (which does away with the SOAP and XML wrappers/marshalling). WE might be better to simply use what he simple saml SAML binding provides, particularly if it removes the SOAP and XML handling obligation so its easy for string processing php/perl scripts to process.

So far I've implemented B using a end-end script, rather than make its tokenhandler an formal inceptor in the stack that has its claims goes into the authorization policy handlers, along with  other claims from the other tokens on the call (if any). Its relatively trivial to move the script class into the listener behaviour, so it becomes an interceptor... A class is a class, in .NET world.

One interesting experiment is to have the client induce server-side destruction of transport session ...by doing a TCP close on WITHOUT first doing a SSL close. For conforming servers, this forces  the server to cease further use of that transport session (ssl3 sessionid) on ALL outstanding connections, including those connections derived from the pre-master secret tied to the SSL3 sessionid.