[foaf-protocols] FW: [ABA-IDM-TASK-FORCE] Kantara slides from Jan 29

Peter Williams home_pw at msn.com
Sat Jan 30 22:10:07 CET 2010

Having been around the block a few times on this topic over 20 years, I'm a
little skeptical of the Kantara folks initiative. But, it's just skepticism
- something that promotes intellectual health (in European science
communities, anyways).

The thesis of Kantara presumes a social control model - one that is
expressed through technical and legal hookups. These require the consumer be
made into a mere "subscriber", legally. A subscriber is a necessarily
"managed" entity, one subject to the "recording" doctrine. The dogmatic
element of that says: that only when intermediated by "trustworthy parties"
can the subscriber get a safe, single, ubiquitous experience from the web.
Then, society can adopt and trust the gestalt BECAUSE there are assured
records of everything  "out there" - that facilitate later audit,
accountability, dispute resolution and of course the endless posturing and
rhetoric that drives the political process forward (to be fair to lawyers).

AS I say, there is nothing evil about the contention for how society OUGHT
to be organized; it's the very traditional service factor model (which tends
to feed folks), and it's how imperial organizations have run multinational
empires in the W for the last 500 years. In politics, we would call it the
"party system" (that give embodiment to folks general persuasions (a bit
left, or a bit right) as society swings around the middle ground pole ever
20 years). Relevant to Crypto, Kantara simply represents the conservative
wing of the PKI movement, that believes that "trusted third parties" MUST
intermediate people to commerce (so society is "holistically" protected
against whatever generic evils are being peddled on the day of sale). Until
1965, folks sold religion on the same pretext. Fear based sale of security
DOES generate consensus - albeit a manufactured and ultimately false
political consensus.

But this I where the web gets interesting , and WHY the FOAF and FOAF+SL
model MAY  be a good "study model" for a future internet - one that is NOT
merely a continuation of 100 year old successful economic practices for huge
populations. If W3C were to lead a funding bid on that NSF grant, I think
after learning from you lot a little more about wht E3C is all about Id be
willing participate (in a way I would not, if say one went cap in hand to
the MACE/internet2 organization -  which is obviously the thing that those
funds are really allocated for).

The web due to W3C (and this harkens back to the Marxist philosophy
discussion of a thread of two ago) has a certain edgeiness to it - one  that
is a little Caesarian in nature, and one that I like. It evidently retains
the ability to appeal to and communicate directly with the plebs - something
that is usually VERY threatening to the folks heavily invested in the
party/intermediary model. Since Ceasar got stabbed 2000 years ago, the
relevant issues are obviously not that new.

Depending where the allegiance of the NSF funding agency folk are, they
would either see W3C and the web as an implicit threat to established order
and THEREFORE something that COULD engender a big shift in internet
thinking; or its something that they would want to avoid (so funding a nice
conservative thinktank with predicable outputs that can be "trusted" not to
overturn the boat).

To bother or not bother with that NSF funding request, you need to meet the
evaluators. Go see where their heads are. Pointless building a coherent and
credible organizational response (led by some prime) and the spending of
effort on making a creditable 20 page proposal - if it "response" style does
not fit "in spirit" the mission of the funding authorities.