Stéphane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 22:05:57 CEST 2010

Attendees: Henry Story, Stéphane Corlosquet, Manu Sporny, Dave Longley, Toby
Inkster, David I. Lehn, Reto Bachmann-Gmür, Mike Johnson, Doug Schepers, and
one anonymous attendee.

Scribe: Stéphane Corlosquet

Audio logs: http://payswarm.com/webid-meetings/

Agenda:
1) High-level overview of telecon bridge, IRC, operations, etc.
2) Discuss short-term (spec) and long-term goals (PaySwarm)
3) Requiring only one serialization (RDFa) vs. two (RDFa + RDF/XML)
4) Integration of FOAF and other vocabs into normative text for WebID

Minutes:

2) Discuss short-term (spec) and long-term goals (PaySwarm)

Henry: WebID is working, we have implementations in many languages. What we
need is make it more specy and get it on the W3C website ideally. Make it
clean and easy to understand. Basic spec has to be very minimal, easy for
people to understand, be verified by a lot of different people from various
fields (security, etc.). Keep in mind everything is working at the moment.

Manu: we should be able to get a fairly accurate, complete spec in less than
6 months (maybe 3 months).

Doug: the faster you can move, the better. I support the idea of iterating
quickly. We can make an interest group around this, but might not be more
effective. I volunteer to bring WebID toward a W3C rec track, though we
don't need to discuss W3C matters now.

Manu: everyone would be happy if WebID was brought on a W3C rec track,
that's the goal for everyone.

Doug: I would not be surprised if W3C started to have an interest in
identity online (OpenID, FOAF), that's another way "in" to get WebID on W3C
rec track.

Henry: 2 layers: (1) core WebID, and (2) there is another layer above which
ties WebID with OpenID: openid4me (could be standardized). Other projects to
tie WebID into the other identity schemes out there.

Manu: re. long term goals. We know WebID as a universal login mechanism and
we have some use cases to demonstrate it, but we might need something else
to complete the story, to show people why it's useful to have a universal
identity along with info which you can associate with, and how you can
relate it to the rest of your activities online, e.g. list you name, email,
picture, plus other services like twitter as your microblogging, facebook as
your social network, payswarm as your transaction service, etc.
You can use WebID to integrate with openID, but also use WebID in the OpenId
protocol for example for OpenID providers to verify the HMAC signature: the
key being not only can you use WebID as an OpenID, but it can be part of the
core OpenID protocol as well. See WebID not only as universal ID, but see it
to help other services like twitter and facebook. ACTION: create an
"Integrating WebID with other identities" document.

Reto: Conflict of interest between integrating all the other services with
WebID and keeping the WebID spec small and beautiful. There is too much
about OpenID in the current spec, could be moved at the bottom or in an
appendix.

Henry: or move it to a different document.

Stephane: it's still good to keep some aspects of OpenID in the main spec as
a mean to explain what WebID is in comparison to OpenID, but not to the
extend as it is now in the related to openID section, which could be moved
to another document.

Henry: the more core is technology agnostic, the longer it will be valid.
Specifics or comparison with other technologies should be placed into
separate documents. It also allows us to save time and rapidly get the core
spec published, and spend more time later on these other matters.

Manu: what about putting this into a primer?

Henry: makes sense

Reto: primer should be something else. primer should explain implementers
how to provide a WebID and authenticate with WebID but the OpenID comparison
should live elsewhere.

Manu: several documents: core spec, use cases and requirements, primer,
comparison with OpenID. volunteers needed.

Henry: the benefit of this is it will simplify writing the core spec. we
should not get distracted by the specs, we need cool demos too and
attractive apps that people will want to use.

Reto: postpone the primer for now. The technical details should be in the
spec, not in the primer. Spec should cover everything semantically with the
right ontologies, authentication mechanism, but maybe reference the RDF spec
when it comes to serialization formats. I'm still in favor of MUST
requirement on the parsing side for RDFa and RDF/XML.

Manu: we can move the OpenID comparison into a separate document and
elaborate on that later.

3) Requiring only one serialization (RDFa) vs. two (RDFa + RDF/XML)

Manu: issue is if there are 2 serialization formats, the risk is it may be
more difficult for people to implement WebID.

Henry: that's why we started with RDF/XML, but we have enough
implementations now and these 2 formats are fairly common nowadays. You can
also use XSLT to transform RDFa into RDF/XML if necessary. Also, RDFa is
easy to integrate for sites which don't support RDF/XML. From a practical
experience I have not seen any major problem with having the 2 formats. On
the MUST/MUSTNOT issue, we can explain semantically what to do to implement
WebID (MUST) and then in a footnote say why RDF/XML and RDFa are the key
formats, but not tie ourselves to these formats to leave the door open for
new formats to come in the game.

Reto: having 2 parsers on the verification agent side is not a problem. keep
it as easy as possible on the publishing side (only one format is enough:
RDF/XML or RDFa).

Manu: people agree it's not a big deal to have 2 formats. PROPOSAL: Explain
the WebID Profile document in RDF terms, support both RDF/XML and RDFa as
serialization formats.

5 votes in favor of this proposal.

Doug: but we should consider other serializations. Many are resistant to the
idea of using RDF, so it would be best to mention other shorthand notations
as well.

Henry: that's why we need to phrase it in terms of automatic
transformability of a serialization into an RDF model.

Reto: but to guarantee interoperability, we must specify the formats that
the verification side should understand.

Henry: be very strong on RDFa and RDF/XML and leave it open for new formats
which translates to RDF (mandatory). If people produce a lot of data into a
new format, as long as there is a good transformation path into RDF, then it
works. For the moment the most practical way of getting started is RDF as
RDFa and RDF/XML.

Manu: RESOLVED: Explain the WebID Profile document in RDF terms, support
both RDF/XML and RDFa as serialization formats.

Doug: if people don't like what you do, they will typically do something
completely different, they won't build on it. In terms of building momentum,
I don't agree that's the best way to do it. The key to RDF is that it is
extensible, but these format don't have to be extensible in the same way.
Someone could build a new format which has built-in assumptions. WebID does
not have to be extensible in the same way RDF does.

Henry: I agree, that's why the whole thing is defined semantically. The core
requirement we need is simply an automatic way to transform any format into
RDF.

Doug: what is the criteria to be transformable in RDF? any format is good
enough and could technically be transformed into RDF.

Henry: machine can find out the mimetype, lookup a transformation mechanism
to get it into RDF triples which happens automatically without requiring any
human interaction. GRDDL and XSPARQL could help building bridges between
other formats and RDF. Any XML format could be usable. We don't want it to
be too complicated (so start with two first). Add a paragraph on
extensibility and tell our readers how they can integrate their format with
WebID. Within the next year, we will see of more formats come up and we'll
decide if we should include them.

Do you think we should mandate GRDDL in the spec?

Henry: we need to look at the issue, in particular the man in the middle
when retrieving an GRDDL transformation via HTTP. JSON should also be
considered. Allow these extensions to appear, but we don't want to stop
improving the existing implementations just because these other technologies
haven't been integrated yet.

Manu: We can phrase it as follows: right now we support RDFa and RDF/XML but
any format which can be transformed into RDF triples can be integrated with
WebID. The formats which will work out of the box are RDFa, RDF/XML or other
RDF serializations.

Doug: caution against talking about it as RDF in order to keep communities
who don't like the RDF solutions. Define the semantics as the normative
requirement, and keep things like RDFa as a possible serializations. Maybe
key value pairs would work.

Henry: key value pairs would work if they are linked to a mimetype. Let's
see how we can phrase that. Use XSPARQL to transform a well known format out
there into RDF.

Manu volunteers to do a JSON-LD and Stephane volunteers to do an example
with XSPARQL.

End of the hour, everyone agrees to have on a conf call every two weeks.

4) Integration of FOAF and other vocabs into normative text for WebID
(This topic was not discussed).

End of minutes.