[foaf-protocols] Using @rel to broaden scope of what we currently call FOAF+SSL

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu May 13 19:26:43 CEST 2010

On 13 May 2010, at 18:04, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
>> Story Henry wrote:

>>> As I said in the other thread, we don't have a lot of people.
>>> Much more important is to get this accepted by a standards body.
>>>
>>> I think we should proceed on with that next.
>>
>> +infinite 1's
>>
> Henry,
>
> I am not really asking anyone to implement anything.
>
> I am saying: how about this approach? I can implement this protocol with the increased implementation dexterity that I seek. It just so happens that I do tend to want to share my thinking with others too.

A protocol with just one implementation is not that interesting.

As I said I don't think this is solving any issues I encounter in the wild as I give talks around. It will just make things more complex, and take us further away from growing our WebId deployment. It will be more testing.

There are so many other things we can do.

For me: finish implementing foaf+ssl on myxwiki, working on ping, better documentation, standard tracks, implementing in more apps, simple access control, develop real test suites, ...

For you: get it to work better with your platform, so that I can click a button and have the same effect as on foaf.me at least, or better integration.

> Goal: get more IDs out there.
>
> Approaches:
>
> 1. A few implementors (that can process RDF data representations) generate a lot of IDs
> 2. Many people (including the "No RDF in any guise" crowd) implement IDs (because implementation threshold is low).

We can give them a standard template to add to their HTML. That would work just as well. And it would not take long to develop.