[foaf-protocols] Some basic questions prior to development ?

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri May 14 19:26:12 CEST 2010

2010/5/14 mike amundsen <mamund at yahoo.com>

> <snip>
>
> http://esw.w3.org/Foaf%2Bssl/FAQ#Is_one_tied_to_using_only_one_browser_per_WebId_.3F
> </snip>
>
> Installing the same cert on all the browsers on all my machines took
> some time and was a bit wonky (installing the cert for Chromium on
> Ubuntu is still a command-line adventure!). I also keep a signed back
> up of my personal cert in dropbox so that it's available when I am at
> another location or need to add it to my office machine, etc.
>
> However, the key drawback for FOAF+SSL is that I can't easily use it
> on public computers when I an traveling. Luckily I almost always have
> a personal device w/ me that has my personal cert installed, but
> sometimes that's not the case.
>
> Most people will do most of their authentication work from the same
> machines most of the time, but until WebID is perceived to be as
> portable as simple user/password authentication, there will be
> pushback to deal with.

Yes, OpenID or even the simple user/password or email verification system,
cover some valuable gaps.  Personally I only use one machine, so im very
very happy with foaf+ssl ... if i traveled a bit more i'd probably try and
work out a solution that was convenient to me... maybe I'd just fall back to
username/password ... that seems to have worked well for many silos on the
net ...