[foaf-protocols] Some basic questions prior to development ?

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri May 14 21:42:40 CEST 2010

Story Henry wrote:
> On 14 May 2010, at 20:31, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>

>> Story Henry wrote:

>>> That's a bit like the web is today. You have a Facebook profile, and perhaps a linkedin one, then other services on the web create a service to extract the data
>>> and they publish it somwhere else.  The difference is that most of your friends will be linking to http://foaf.me/seth#me because that is the one you give out on a business card, or append to your emails.
>>>
>>> I think of semantictweet as a demo of what twitter could be doing if they wanted to. Indenti.ca produces its own foaf so there is no need for semantictweet.
>>>

>> Henry,
>>
>> What's wrong with multiple RDFizers?
>>

> I did not say there was. In fact I said the opposite: that the current web is exactly that way. Yet people don't have problems. For example few people who communicate with me go to semwntictweet, they usually go to Facebook, linkedin, or some such.
>

>> Shouldn't people just choose what works best for them Linked Data Graph fidelity wise?
>>

> Of course. But there is the issue of trust. If http://bblfish.net/#hjs is the one I put on my card, that is the one I control, that is the one people link to, that is the one that will be higher rated in the pary scene - if people like me.
>

>> Your not doing choices and options anymore?
>>

> To the contrary I am defusing the fear that too much choice is a problem.
>

>> Semantictweet, Identi.ca, URIBurner, others, just options for people to choose from etc..
>>
>> Remember, Identi.ca is just one of a plethora of data spaces on the public Web :-)
>>

> Just saying that pragmatics will deal with this....

Henry,

I was referring to this statement: "...Indenti.ca produces its own foaf
so there is no need for semantictweet."

I am trying to articulate the fact that Identi.ca's FOAF graph for their
Data Space may not meet all needs of a give profile of user agent. This
is reminiscent of the flawed assumption that because Oracle (or any
other RDBMS vendor) produces an ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET etc.
driver/provider, 3rd party alternatives are no good :-)

Kingsley