[foaf-protocols] Some basic questions prior to development ?

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri May 14 22:24:06 CEST 2010

Story Henry wrote:

>>> To the contrary I am defusing the fear that too much choice is a problem.

>>> Just saying that pragmatics will deal with this....
>>>

>> Henry,
>>
>> I was referring to this statement: "...Indenti.ca produces its own foaf so there is no need for semantictweet."
>>

> Well, put it this way: it costs money to put something like semantictweet up, to maintain it, to make sure it does not get attacked, etc... Doing this was useful to help make a point about twitter I suppose, but would have been a lot less interesting if twitter had done, as identi.ca has done it themselves.

No, I don't by that line of thought one bit, and it actually triggers
bigger problems:

1. Twitter, Facebook etc. become the only sources of Linked Data Graphs
(since they are more interesting based on the fact that they provide
structured linked data graphs for their data spaces, irrespective of how
they stack up quality factors wise)

2. 3rd parties veer away due to the costs that result from the
sentiments you are expressing about the data space owners etc..
> In this sense there is certainly less need for a semantictweet for identica.
>
> I did not say people can't do it, or that it should be stopped.

No, you said there is less need, which is quite close to saying: less
value. Businesses are built with value delivery in mind :-)

This subject is touchy (for me) because we are moving away from the
tabular RDBMS realm to the EAV Graph realm, and in both cases you have
an ecosystem of data space owners and relative 3rd party technology
providers.

Mono-culture never works :-)

Kingsley

>> I am trying to articulate the fact that Identi.ca's FOAF graph for their Data Space may not meet all needs of a give profile of user agent.
>>

> In that case there would be a need.
>

>> This is reminiscent of the flawed assumption that because Oracle (or any other RDBMS vendor) produces an ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET etc. driver/provider, 3rd party alternatives are no good :-)
>>

> There is less of a need then. Of course only those that produce better ones survive: because that solves a need.
>
> I am just underlining the economic angle in this.
>
> Henry
>

>> Kingsley

President & CEO