[foaf-protocols] Some basic questions prior to development ?

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri May 14 23:43:12 CEST 2010

Story Henry wrote:
> On 14 May 2010, at 21:24, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>

>> This subject is touchy (for me) because we are moving away from the tabular RDBMS realm to the EAV Graph realm, and in both cases you have an ecosystem of data space owners and relative 3rd party technology providers.
>>

> I don't see why you are worried. There is an infinite amount of data to be put on the web as is. If everyone gets their social web server then they will produce a lot of good data that they can organise using virtuoso.

I am thinking beyond Virtuoso. I may be atypical in this regard, so do
try to discount Virtuoso when I comment in this manner. I am a believer
in making the cake first, then divvy it up later. In the case of the Web
you're right re. magnitude, but if people in general don't grok the
magnitude they will stifle the making of the cake (which is highly
dependent on smaller players who are going to be 3rd parties relative to
data spaces like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc..).

This is also why I do get frustrated when I see silly infighting within
the community etc..

I want all and sundry to be highly motivated re. Linked Data generation.

Remember, I've already done this loop once re. ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET,
OLEDB, XMLA etc.. I know how difficult it can be for smaller 3rd party
players.

Your sentiments (all be they unintentional) are typical, and they have
an inverse effect on the motivation of 3rd parties. Again, I am speaking
from experience (zero speculation here).
> And people will make backups and caches too...

This is only clear when the cake is baked.

>> Mono-culture never works :-)
>>

> Who spoke of mono culture
>
> Don't really know what this has to do with the original thread....

We are not really connecting re. our conversation, I can only assume
someone is hacking at code etc..

Digest the thread at a later date and time (there is a temporal element
to context). All will be much clearer, really :-)

Kingsley
> Henry

President & CEO