[foaf-protocols] foaf+ssl & like for blogs

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue May 25 21:47:56 CEST 2010

Nathan wrote:
> Story Henry wrote:
>
>> During a discussion on the Social Web with Amaru Rance in Oxford, we came across the idea of a new very simple usage of foaf+ssl: a like button.
>>
>> The conversation was turning around how on open blogs one could, but tends not to, leave feedback about having liked reading it. It is a major part of the FB experience, and in Twitter land one has the same with RT. This lack of intentional feedback, makes blogs a lot less personal than they need be.
>>

> Might I add that (personally) I really like the idea of being able to
> simply mark that I've 'read' it, not essentially with any feeling
> attached - I implemented a simple prototype for this a few months ago
> utilizing a custom browser button, basically all it did was send through
> the current URI and title (if available) and then strapped the two
> triples to my webid.
>    #me :read <uri> .
>    <uri> :title "whatever"@en .
>
> The idea and plan I had (but again never got round to) was to hook it up
> at the back end to the extractor prototype I made and detect what the
> content I was reading about; stage two was to do the same for everything
> I wrote - and then later if I say wrote a blog post about "something" I
> could essentially trace back through my thought stream, including
> everything I'd read on twitter, in blogs, around the net and literally
> trace my own thoughts and how they were formed + what sources they came
> from (and so forth and so on, huge potential scope for something as
> simple as #me :read <that> ).
>

>> Adding it to blogs would be really simple. A foaf+ssl enabled like button, could allow one to authentify oneself in one easy click. The blog post could then simply add a like relation to the user's WebId to the RSS feed. This could of course also be used for comments. A good blog engine could then parse the foaf and use the information gleaned there to produce a profile of the liking person: what blogs he had (verified if the blog points back to the webid), what SN he is on, etc....
>>

> +1 (but privacy considerations in mind about sharing all that data, the
> whole persona thing)
>

>> Currently it would require leaving a comment with an easily falsifiable email address. Asking people to authentify via email would be cumbersome for something as easy as liking something.
>>

>> Just a thought,
>>

> A great one :)

All,

We are tagging.

There is a cool MOAT ontology that enables us associate tags with more
abstract meaning.

For instance, how would one unambiguously model the fact that we "Like"
something?

Ultimately, this comes down to how you associate:
<http://sw.opencyc.org/concept/Mx4roSBT8MfFEdmAAACQJw5drg> with some
folksonomy style tag.

To conclude: its about tagging, the phenomena popularized and stalled by
del.icio.us. Most Web 2.0 patterns simply need a little tweak :-)

Links:

1. http://moat-project.org/ontology -- this is how you can connect (in
your own data space) tags to explicit meaning e.g. "Like"
2. http://www.commontag.org/Specification -- which I believe has been
cross linked with MOAT.