[foaf-protocols] Poll on WebID Protocol Ontology Changes

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Oct 5 22:52:59 CEST 2010

On 10/05/10 16:24, Nathan wrote:
> Likewise, and after taking everything in to consideration, I put a MUST
> on both.
>
> Interested to here if somebody can say why both shouldn't be supported?

Both shouldn't be supported due to complexity of implementation.

Let's pick one or the other - no need to provide two alternatives that
effectively accomplish the same task.

When speaking with Henry today, I had an opposition to DER, but after
speaking with our engineering team here - they're in favor of PEM (which
is a base-64 encoded form of DER). It's not clear to me whether or not
the people that are voting for DER are assuming a base-64 encoding (I'd
hope they are).

One of the benefits of WebID is that it is simple to implement and uses
technology that is heavily adopted. Our CTO has asserted that just about
any modern toolchain that uses PKI supports ASN.1, DER and PEM encodings
as part of the toolchain.

Therefore, since we're expressing the mod/exponent as a large number or
hex, we are requiring extra work in those toolchains instead of just
using something that they're familiar with (PEM formatted DER).

So, are the people that are voting for DER meaning to vote for PEM
instead? Or do you really mean DER (which is a binary format)?

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Making Payments Frictionless, Saving Journalism
http://digitalbazaar.com/2010/09/12/payswarm-api/