[foaf-protocols] todo: smtp/pop proxy for Web Mail

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Mon Sep 6 14:33:01 CEST 2010

Paul Prescod sent me a reply on RESTMail. He his no longer doing protocol work it seems. That was work he did 8 years ago, which he says he is happy if people pursue, but he won't have time.

If one looks at this there are also other options. Since the restmail was outlined 8 years ago the Atom Protocol was developed. It would not need a lot of extensions to turn an Atom Entry into what we need. One would just need some notion of recipient or recipient group.

I am also thinking that if one could define atom in semantic terms, then all one would need is a method for mapping FORMs to RDF and one could use simple html forms to post an entry. The html form would just be another serialisation of the content.

The restmail+webid idea was I think mentioned a year ago or so. Perhaps worth linking to this thread in the wiki.

 I am going to try getting a (micro)blogging engine going first on Clerezza....

Henry

On 4 Sep 2010, at 18:28, Henry Story wrote:

> Karl Dubost pointed me to Paul Prescod's work on RESTmail, that fits the bill perfectly (at first glance). The only piece missing is the authentication bit for him, and we can solve that. So we should see if we can join forces there....
>
>   http://www.prescod.net/rest/restmail/
>   http://restmail.org/
>
> I'll try contacting him,
>
> 	Henry
>
> On 3 Sep 2010, at 17:59, Henry Story wrote:
>
>> An idea: how to get rid of e-mail.
>>
>> Blogging is like e-mail with access control. Post a blog entry that can be read only by the people you intend to read using access control. Ping them. They use WebID to authenticate and can read it, copying the entry over to their store.
>>
>> Result: secure e-mail that arrives in a couple of connections at its destination.
>>
>> Next: write a pop/smtp proxy, so that people can use their current e-mail clients to do their work.
>> Sending: When someone writes an email it is sent to the smtp server. If that server has a webid-mail endpoint to ping it use the RESTful mail. If they don't forward to a traditional smtp server
>> Receiving: the proxy receives all traditional and WebId Mail, and presents it to the client using a traditional SMTP service.
>>
>> Additional feature: Create a nice Web Interface so that you get webmail for free.
>>
>> Could also work with a WebID enabled RSS reader.
>>
>> Henry
>>
>> PS. I think I mentioned this before, but just talked about it at DERI, so it's fresh in my mind.
>>
>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/