[foaf-protocols] Fwd: openid4.me not working

Seth Russell russell.seth at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 21:13:28 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Seth Russell <russell.seth at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: openid4.me not working
To: foafme at googlegroups.com

> Re reprted by Nicolas17 (see below)
>The openid4.me service seems to be broken, leaving
> me locked out of several websites, since I used it as my
> main OpenID. I just get "Verification of the OpenID URL was cancelled."
> from the website.

This is exactly why re-authentication (login) to a website or service with
your WebID should not be dependent on  verification of the certificate in
the profile document.

My point is not that there is some little transitory bug over at
openid.meand the pain it causes ... my point is that the protocol has
been defined so
that it is inherently and needlessly unreliable.  It is dependent on the
site which issued the WebID to be up and running.  But it doesn't  need that
dependence!   Login using WebID need only  be a transaction between the
website and the client's browser.

Seth Russell
Podcasting: tagtalking.net
Facebook ing: facebook.com/russell.seth
Twitter ing: twitter.com/SethRussell
Blogging: fastblogit.com/seth/
Catalog selling: www.speaktomecatalog.com
Google profile: google.com/profiles/russell.seth