[foaf-protocols] DNS problem with foafssl.org -> myxwiki

Dirk-Willem van Gulik Dirk-Willem.van.Gulik at bbc.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 22:08:14 CEST 2010

Op 14 sep 2010, om 21:59 heeft Henry Story het volgende geschreven:

> That has not been updated for a while it seems, since 2000 at least
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dnswalk/files/

I suspect that DNS has not changed that much since then.

> # dig  ns myxwiki.org
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> ns myxwiki.org

Ok.

> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 3

So an answer; but whatever answers is not authoritive.

> myxwiki.org.		8	IN	NS	lanai.xpertnet.biz.
> myxwiki.org.		8	IN	NS	maui.xpertnet.biz.
> myxwiki.org.		8	IN	NS	ns-fr.xpertnet.biz.

These should be auhtoriative.

> # dig -t any @maui.xpertnet.biz

So you are asking these.

> ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 0

And no answer.

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> .			518400	IN	NS	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

And defers you to the root servers. And it is sure of that.

-> conclusion - this guy is not configured as your dns server; i.e. it does not know your zone.

> # dig -t any @ns-fr.xpertnet.biz
>                    [[ AT THIS POINT IT HANGS FOR A WHILE]]
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> -t any @ns-fr.xpertnet.biz
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd

And this guy is not running at all. Or in other words - your entire domain is foobar - but luckily not with huge TTL's or anything - so it is not hard to recover; either have the authoritive servers fixed - or move it somewhere else. If you are stuck - let me know - happy to run some zones over here or pull zones from SVN/hidden-master.

Dw.