[foaf-protocols] [foaf-dev] OpenPals - FOAF-based open source social infrastructure

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Wed Sep 15 23:51:49 CEST 2010

  On 9/15/10 4:40 PM, Nikolay Krasilnkov wrote:
> Hello FOAF-project team,
>
> My name is Nikolay Krasilnikov. I'm PhD student in Saint Petersburg
> State  University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics (SPb
> SU IFMO) and software engineer in Sun Microsystems (Oracle Corporation).
>
> My friend Nikolay Vyahhi (he is PhD student in Saint Petersburg State
> University (SPb SU)) and I are prototyping some kind of social network
> infrastructure based on FOAF and OpenId.
>
> The main idea is to split social network to standardized back-end and
> substitutable front-end.
> Back-end is rather simple provider of social information based on FOAF
> standard and OpenID authorization. It looks like this:
> http://www.openpals.net/provider/http://nnnnnk.myopenid.com/ (slash at
> the end does matter). Provider also supports some security settings.
> Front-end is any software (UI) that can browse this FOAF network. In our
> prototype it renders FOAF to some kind of usual social network page. For
> example here is my page:
> http://www.openpals.net/profile.html?id=http://nnnnnk.myopenid.com/ .
> Actually we have two different front-ends — server-based that's located
> on http://www.openpals.net and the one implemented as Firefox extension.
> In the second one there are much more possibilities in integration of
> different services.
>
> Description of idea with pictures:
> http://www.openpals.net/howitworks.html
>
>   From the point of view of FOAF we have some simple FOAF parser, object
> model and UI representation.
> Our model is rather simple now, but we are working on it.
>
> Also we are not great experts in FOAF and RDF, so it would be great to
> get some expert feedback.

Nice looking effort!

Wondering if you've been looking at the WebID project at all?

Also, I tried to create a profile using my OpenID but it failed. I
doubled checked with another OpenID site to ensure it wasn't me at
fault, and that worked.

My OpenID URL is: <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen> .

> We'd like to make our ideas live, organize a community and so on. But we
> don't have much experience in this things. So we'd be very pleased if
> you could give us some peaces of advice in this area too.
>
> Prototype:
> http://www.openpals.net
> Project:
> http://kenai.com/projects/openpals

My best piece of advice (for now) would be to incorporate WebID into
your service once OpenID is working properly etc..

Kingsley