[foaf-protocols] [foaf-dev] FOAF site - unscheduled downtime

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Fri Sep 17 13:36:47 CEST 2010

On 17 Sep 2010, at 12:22, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Henry Story <henry.story at bblfish.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 17 Sep 2010, at 00:07, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>

>>> I've disabled wiki.foaf-project.org for now. When it comes back up,
>>> I'll make it 'read only' except for those of us in FOAF club. Quite
>>> how we define that I'm open to suggestions. But first rule of FOAF
>>> club - don't be a spammer! Everything else is a nice extra. I think
>>> it's time to eat our own dogfood here, so I'll be revisiting
>>> http://danbri.org/words/2009/10/25/504 and looking around for other
>>> sources of trusted openids and webids too.
>>
>> Just WebID enable it. By the time spammers catch onto WebID you'll
>> have a couple of years of peace :-)
>
> Can you recommend a webid-backed OpenID-compatible service or toolkit?
> I remember this was done, but forget the details. That way we can
> exploit the (currently more plentiful) OpenID addons for Wordpress /
> Drupal / MediaWiki while still allowing nice WebID functionality...

There is http://openid4.me that allows anyone with a WebID to login with
an OpenID tied to it.

But it could also be good to login directly to your site with WebID for those
that have it. It should be quite a lot easier on the user.

So for example you could have a simple login button.
That button when clicked could ask optionally for the client certificate.
If the certificate is invalid or none is sent, you can return a web page
with the current login page, username/password, openid, and the many other
NASCAR buttons for login.

So from the users point of view he clicks login, and either his browser
asks him for a cert, or he gets a login page, where he has to fill in a form.
You can then use the information in the foaf to fill in the database used by
workpress. Those other components won't know you have logged in with openid, foaf+ssl,
or any other protocol...

Henry

> Dan

Social Web Architect