[foaf-protocols] Why exponent/modulus

Nathan nathan at webr3.org
Fri Sep 17 16:48:36 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Similar to my previous question, why do we extract the modulus and
exponent of a public key and represent those in RDF, if we were instead
to store a PEM/DER encoded version of the public key, or even
certificate, in our profiles instead, what would break?

With this specific question, the main background thinking is that
implementations of WebID protocol would be much easier, with far less
dependencies, if we did simply throw a PEM/DER certificate in to our
profiles, all those Wordpress/Mediawiki/Drupal type plugins, and indeed
support in any language which had basic support for HTTP+TLS would
suddenly become a very easy hit.

Best,

Nathan