[foaf-protocols] The Three Visions

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Fri Sep 17 22:29:29 CEST 2010

  On 9/17/10 3:52 PM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some of you may be aware of an effort called Vendor Relationship
> Management (http://projectvrm.org).
> The idea is to allow individuals to manage their relationships with
> vendors, rather than the other way round (classic CRM).
>
> It appears that VRM and the Federated Social Web share a common
> element: A decentralized piece of software that acts on behalf of
> individuals rather than being based on centralized services. Whether
> you call this "Personal Data Store" or "Seed" or "Node" or something
> else doesn't really matter, it seems that this thing should be able to
> manage my interactions with BOTH vendors and with people (friends).
>
> So I made a video about this :)
> http://vimeo.com/15038426 (8 minutes long)

Very nice!

I strongly urge you to listen to this podcast interview that I had with
Jon Udell about this matter last year [1]. Key points:

This is about Personal Data Spaces. These Data Spaces are comprised of:

1. Strong Identity -- delivered by WebID
2. Structured Profiles -- delivered by FOAF and/or XRDS (via hammer stack)
3. Structured Expression of Needs and Offers -- delivered via
GoodRelations  Vocabualry
4. Structured Linked Data -- delivered by HTTP based Linked Data
(covers: AddressBooks, Calendars, Bookmarks, Feeds, Briefcase (File
Server), Wikis, Photo Galleries, Discussions, and much more..

Personal Data Spaces are nodes on the truly distributed and open social web.

> One important point that I forgot to make in the video is that this
> can of course be implemented in many different ways, e.g. OStatus,
> XMPP, XDI, OAuth, etc.
>
> This is also described in some more detail on our own project page,
> but again, the idea is really generic:
> http://personaldatastore.info/three-visions/

The concept of Personal Data Spaces has developed many labels over the
years, the most recent being the Personal Data Locker.

The key thing is this, items #1-4 above, delivered in a loosely coupled
fashion is basically what the social web we all seek is about. We just
need to leverage Web Architecture (via Hammer Stack, Linked Data etc..)
so that a federated read-write web materializes, sooner rather than later.

> Well, let me know what you think, any feedback or pointers would be sweet.
> And I'm sending a similar, "reversed" message to the VRM list.

Links:

1. http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail4233.html --
Interview with Jon Udell re. Structured Profiles, GoodRelations, RDFa,
and Linked Data
2. http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/ -- GoodRelations
Vocabulary
3. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ -- OpenLink Data Spaces (our
platform for Personal or Enterprise Linked Data Spaces)
4. http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/data-portability-and-data-spaces-2
-- Data Spaces and Data Portability Presentation  (3yrs ago)
5.
http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/linked-data-spaces-data-portability-access
-- Data Spaces, Data Portability, and Data Access (updated version 8
months ago)
6. http://sioc-project.org/ontology -- Semantically Interlinked Online
Communities Vocabulary (my contribution to this vocabulary extended it
to cover Data Spaces)
8. http://esw.w3.org/WebID -- WebID (basically, a tweek to SSL/TLS that
adds: looking up a Public Key of a verified X.509 cert. via a WebID
associated with a Personal Data Space, the the standard protocol)
7. http://id.myopenlink.net/ods -- one of many entry points into one of
several live ODS instances (you can get yourself a WebID there if you
choose)
9. http://esw.w3.org/Foaf%2Bssl -- WebID Protocol portal .

> Markus
> --