[foaf-protocols] Why exponent/modulus

Mitko Iliev imitko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 22:39:37 CEST 2010

Hi Melvin,

I have asked this question so long ago and didn't get answer :-(
IMO the base64 or even PEM encoded public key would be nice to have in ontology in aspect of comparing various types of keys taking into account key, it could be DSA or something else which is not covered by current spec.  which solely talking about RSA. This is short term solution, long term to have different keys described by an ontology.

Best Regards,
Mitko

On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 17 September 2010 16:48, Nathan <nathan at webr3.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Similar to my previous question, why do we extract the modulus and
> exponent of a public key and represent those in RDF, if we were instead
> to store a PEM/DER encoded version of the public key, or even
> certificate, in our profiles instead, what would break?
>
> With this specific question, the main background thinking is that
> implementations of WebID protocol would be much easier, with far less
> dependencies, if we did simply throw a PEM/DER certificate in to our
> profiles, all those Wordpress/Mediawiki/Drupal type plugins, and indeed
> support in any language which had basic support for HTTP+TLS would
> suddenly become a very easy hit.
>
> By the way we already have in WOT:
>
> Property: wot:pubkeyAddress
> Address - The location of an ascii version of a public key. Status:    testing
> Domain:    wot:PubKey
> Range:    http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document
> A link from a Public Key to an ascii version of said key. It is usually acceptable to include other content in this file as well: so long as the ascii signature has a newline before and after it, tools
>
> Property: wot:identity
> Identity - A property linking a public key to the user of the key. Status:    testing
> Domain:    wot:PubKey
> Range:    wot:User
> A term identifying the wot:User of a wot:PubKey - the inverse of wot:hasKey. Useful for providing identifying information about the owner of a Key.
>
> Property: wot:length
> Length - A numeric string representing the length, in bytes, of a public key. Status:    stable
> Domain:    wot:PubKey
> Range:    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer
> Keys can have a length attached to them. Typical sizes range from 1024-4096 bytes. Longer keys are typically considered more difficult to break.
>

> Could this also use literal versions of public keys, i wonder?
>

> Best,
>
> Nathan

Mitko Iliev
Developer Virtuoso Team