[foaf-protocols] Fwd: please join the renewed PoCo vs. vCard4/XML convergence debate!

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 19:34:05 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joseph Smarr <jsmarr at gmail.com>
Date: 9 September 2010 03:12
Subject: please join the renewed PoCo vs. vCard4/XML convergence debate!
To: portablecontacts at googlegroups.com
Cc: Tantek Çelik <tantek at tantek.com>, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com>,
David Glazer <dglazer at google.com>, Rohit Khare <rkhare at google.com>, Chris
Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com>, Allen Tom <atom at yahoo-inc.com>, Will
Norris <willnorris at google.com>, Evan Gilbert <uidude at google.com>

Hi guys, for those of you not following the IETF's vCard 4 and vCard XML
working groups, you may recall that we spent some time about a year ago
trying to converge their proposed schema with PoCo, but not much ended up
happening. Since then, the W3C has adopted the PoCo schema for their W3C
Contacts API, and a number of additional services have added PoCo support,
so we recently brought the topic up again to re-consider if/how to better
converge our specs. See
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01668.html (and
subsequent replies) for the current thread.

At the heart of the issue is whether our decisions in PoCo to favor
simplicity and readability over maximizing flexibility and uniformity make
sense in the context of the next version of vCard (and its proposed XML
serialization). There's a healthy debate to be had (which we had in this
group when designing PoCo, but which hasn't been had as vigorously within
the vCard working group yet), so if you're passionate about our design
principles, you have a real chance here to help shape the future of vCard,
which is still the most widely recognized contact standard.

*So please join the discussion ASAP and voice your opinion! :)*
(You can just email vcarddav at ietf.org or go to
of the archives.)

Thanks, js

PS: For context, here is the current proposal for vCard 4:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-13 and here is the
proposed XML format:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-05 and here is the
proposed "social networking extension":