[foaf-protocols] Bootstrapping the Semantic Inbox

Toby Inkster tai at g5n.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 21:57:28 CEST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:48:06 +0100
Toby Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:

> This initial implementation just acts as a gateway, forwarding
> incoming messages to a mailbox via SMTP.

My sketch for the next implementation is this:

Rather than act as a gateway, act as a real mail box, with incoming
mail getting dumped into either a UNIX-style mail spool, or more likely
a database.

When logging in to view incoming mail, you'd see incoming messages
split into about 3 logical inboxes: Data Inbox (containing any messages
with an RDF Content-Type), Document Inbox (containing messages with a
document, text or article-like Content-Type) and Media Inbox
(containing images, audio, video, etc). Incoming XHTML+RDFa would be
presented in both the Data and Document inboxes.

You can then go through each item in your mail and choose to archive
them to user-created folders. Items would also have an option to add to
your "Data Shoebox" - a quad store that can be queried later.

The user would also be able to define filters with conditions given in
the form of SPARQL "ASK" queries. Filters would allow messages to be
automatically filed into different folders, deleted, added to the
shoebox, forwarded to another account, etc.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>