[foaf-protocols] FOAF Like

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:30:13 CEST 2010

On 27 September 2010 15:48, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com> wrote:
>  On 9/27/10 8:37 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

>>> Icons are very difficult to put together.
>>>
>>> What are you trying to express here?  There are a lot of elements
>>> in this icon: the foaf logo, a smile on one of the foaf icons, a
>>> thumbs up.
>>>
>>> Is that to say a friend of a friend likes it? Or that
>>> by liking it you will tell a foaf to like it? Or...
>> Just a FOAF version of the OGP like concept.
>>
>> WebID version of course a good idea too.
>
> Yes, but I think we are getting sorta mixed up re. WebID, WebID
> protocol, and FOAF.

This is true.  Maybe at some stage we should split of spec discussion
to a new list, or have more descriptive subjects.  foaf-protocols
(this list) was always meant to be separate from foaf+ssl and include
a wide range of topics, XMPP, ontologies, WOT etc.

With WebID getting so much attention it's a tricky balancing act.

> FOAF isn't a vehicle for effectively marketing WebID, its an
> implementation detail re. structured profiles, a component of the WebID
> protocol. Thus, we should be branding the WebID protocol rather than the
> FOAF vocabulary/schema .

The power of WebID is as an enabler of 1000's of apps and technologies
(not only single sign on).  Some will be related to the protocol, some
to FOAF, some to web 2.0, some to other ontologies.  So there's no
'one true branding', but agree WebID is a special case.

I counted last night about 10 different 'groups' working on
interoperabile WebID app ... I think by the end of the year we'll have
the first wave of apps that can really the diverse potential of the
data web.