[foaf-protocols] FOAF Like

Mischa Tuffield mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Thu Sep 30 15:54:44 CEST 2010

Hello,

Once again, popping out of lurking mode here :

<snip/>
On 30 Sep 2010, at 00:59, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 27 September 2010 14:43, Henry Story <henry.story at bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> Just a FOAF version of the OGP like concept.
>>
>> What is the OGP like concept?
>>

>>> WebID version of course a good idea too.
>>
>> Why does either WebID or foaf need to be tied into the concept of "like"?
>
> The button, which launched in April at f8, Facebook’s developer
> conference, is now present on roughly 2 million sites around the web,
> from sports sites to news organizations and many other kinds of
> publishers.
>
> The Facebook “Like” button, however, might be bringing Facebook closer
> to competing with Twitter in the area of referral traffic, though.
> Since the button launched and was integrated on millions of sites,
> many publishers are reporting large increases in traffic specifically
> due to this kind of social plugin. ABC News reported a 190% increase;
> Gawker’s traffic shot up by 200%; Sporting News said their site
> traffic was up by a shocking 500%; and NBA.com said that Facebook had
> become their second-largest referral source.
>
> http://mashable.com/2010/09/29/facebook-like-stats/

If you guys get around to build a Like button, please don't design it in the same way FB did, i.e. using an iframe. I guess it doesn't really make sense to use an iframe in a distributed world, I mean, who would be hosting the damn thing? I really don't "Like" the damn button [1], but I do see why lots of people have chosen to include the iframe on their pages, I mean 190% increase in traffic is awesome!!!

I wonder how a distributed WebID powered Like button would work, doesn't seem like it would that easy to me, perhaps it would look at your client-side cert or something, mmm ...

Cheers all, and great work on this WebID stuff :)

Mischa

[1] http://mmt.me.uk/blog/2010/07/30/the-facebook-like-button/