[foaf-protocols] webid vs distributed social networks

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Sun Feb 27 02:29:03 CET 2011

On 2/26/11 1:21 PM, peter williams wrote:
> Is there anywhere a public sparql server willing to take a query on an
> arbitrary uri (named graph?), pull the foaf card from the public web,
> perform the query, and return the resultset?

Yes.
> Before it needed $10,000 to continue experimentation, I was once using
> intellidimension's excellent sparql server. But even it, as I recall,
> refused to go dynamically get the named graph in a sparql select query from
> the web (acting as a proxy user agent) and then execute the indicated query
> on the graph.
>
> Is there something stopping the world doing what TBL advocates with sparql
> servers?
No, bar comprehension of Linked Data meme without RDF tax.

SPARQL is a nice mechanism for implementing and delivering what is for
all intents and purposes DataDNS  :-)

Links:

1. http://uriburner.com/spaql -- deliberately named URIBurner
2. http://uriburner.com -- home page explaining the service
3.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/presentations/SPARQL_Tutorials/SPARQL_Tutorials_Part_7/SPARQL_Tutorials_Part_7.html#(25)
-- example of how a SPARQL query can perform WWW or Intranet crawls via
URIs in query patterns .

President&  CEO