[foaf-protocols] role of dnssec in webid; mappping URI authority elements at domain boundaries

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Mon Jan 3 23:33:43 CET 2011

On 3 Jan 2011, at 21:22, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Have trouble seeing the relation to the decentralized end-to-end
> security WebId aims to offer.
>
> The WebId infrastructure shall never rely on centralized system,

never is a bit strong of a word, as you imply below...

> such
> systems may initially foster adoption and as such they may be
> integrated but WebId shall never depend on them.

Every system and structure has its advantages and limitations, will have
choke points and control systems, however centralised it be.
DNS has its set of issues, but I imagine decentralised DNSs will also have
their issues too.  It is too easy to compare an existing system whose warts
we understand well to an ideal system that in our imagination has all virtues
we wish.

> As a consequence
> (because DNS is centralized) the social meaning of a URI/WebId must
> not be defined in function of a dereferenciation mechanism,
> <http://bblfish.net/#hjs> will still be Henry Story even if the domain
> is revoked under anti-terrorism legislation due to Henry's support for
> wikileaks.

I think instead of trying to fix these issues with DNS, I'd urge people
to go out and be active politically to make sure we all have a working
democracy with strong protection for freedom of expression.

The meaning of URLs is pragmatically tied to what is returned by dereferencing
them. But the memory of the web, the way people link to a URL, the ability of
people to cache information will give ways to track "changes" of meaning. Sometimes
these are good, as if somebody changes a picture he put up by mistake, sometimes
less good as if a site gets pulled down, sometimes reasonable if pages are deleted that
were put up after a break in.

I'll post some links to work on p2p dns later. There were talks on the subject
at the 27c3. But those are still I think very tentative. Something to follow.