[foaf-protocols] Building Blocks of an Initial Distributed Social System

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:35:31 CEST 2011

I think we now have 3 of the building blocks of an initial distributed
social system

1. Identity
==========

I think we can start using WebID for this, which means hosting your
foar with your public key

2. Data spaces
===============

There's a few around now and what you need to do is link your data
space to your Identity

This will provide you with a wall, data storage, shared folders,
perhaps a calendar, and any number of possible apps.  Generally these
will be standards compliant wrt SPARQL (1.1), WebAccessControl, WebDAV

Look for more Web Scale apps to start emerging 2nd half of this year.

Three nice services are data.fm, openlink, and myprofile, but there
more and more emmerging.

QUESTION:  which predicate should we use to link from our identity to
our data space?

3. Notifications system
=====================

I think we are good to go with semantic pingback

This seems to be a great glue to at least do basic notifications, but
I would expect that things start getting smarter as time goes on

I think we're ready to start testing the interactions now, and to
build apps.  Also I am sure there will be a great chance to grow the
eco system by bootstrapping some of the systems that already exist on
the web.  Adding a gateway to email is something that has already been
looked at.  In terms of social nets G+, Facebook, twitter seem logical
possibilities.  For Apps perhaps OpenSocial can be leveraged, or using
some other "App Stores".  I think payments are not too far away,
especially with the work at payswarm.

Any thoughts on how we self organize?  How can people be motivated to
interact with other identities?

[1] http://aksw.org/Projects/SemanticPingBack