[foaf-protocols] looking back to 1988 for proof that cert existance in container => valid

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Mon Mar 7 03:48:53 CET 2011

On 3/6/11 12:00 AM, peter williams wrote:

> We can also see it here (albeit for 2011):
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755292.aspx
>
> Semantically, its richer than merely testing for mere existence of
> cert in container. There is also a match and find rule, mapping the
> cert (once matched) onto an account field(s) found in the same
> directory entry.

Yes, and I expect WebID protocol implementers to have the freedom to
expand beyond WebID basics. In short, basic WebID is the minimum interop
point, other features can be used to enhance the trust semantics on a
per implementation basis.

Anyway, that's what we've also sought to do, this is why we already to
the account dance via OAuth :-)

> Folks we really understand directory 1992 might be able to explain the
> notion of sub-entries, which equate in some sense to #tagged graphs
> within a foaf card, and have some interesting inheritcance and schema
> control models in support.
>
> Anyways , good news, since rarely does MSFT do something that is not
> on solid IP grounds (i.e. well supported with modern IP, or the
> process/system is just really ancient).

Yes. That's my experience of MSFT. Worked them in early '90s, and their
tech even earlier.

President&  CEO