[foaf-protocols] Fwd: [Freedombox-discuss] WebID

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 8 20:35:00 CET 2011

Jonas wrote a few day earlier:
>> On a related note, I now (after fighting intensely with it for 3
>> days, producing the needed 27 Debian packages) I have now packaged
>> libcgi-auth-foaf-ssl-perl which is a Perl implementation of WebID.
>>
>> The work is now pending approval into Debian, and is also available
>> using the following APT line:
>>
>> deb http://debian.jones.dk/ sid freedombox
>>
>> I would appreciate any and all comments on these packages (and also
>> do tell me if you are interested in the field of RDF using Perl and
>> need other libraries packaged!).

Thanks for the encouragement (and hello - I just subscribed here, after
hanging out at the foaf-dev list for some time not being aware of this
one)

As I wrote above, the packages are not actually _in_ Debian quite yet.
And even then it most likely take a year or two before next stable
Debian is released. :-)

Those tools mentioned above are Perl modules, so not an "apt-get and
whoopti you have WebID".

Yesterday I also packaged (or finalized the packaging of) 4store.  This
is more of a turnkey albeit specific-purpose tool.

For those wondering why this happens now: I have been interested in RDF
for some time without doing much about it beyond maintaining [my FOAF
profile] by hand.

Lately I have engaged in the [FreedomBox] project, and felt it obvious
that a tool like that should use RDF at its core.

But relax - don't get too excited too soon: FreedomBox do not exist yet
beyond lots of interest and good will.  And my particular interest in
RDF may not hold when things become more concrete: I am _interested_ but
not clever in this field: we need contributors of actual working code,
not just people like me packaging libraries written by others. :-P

  - Jonas

[my FOAF profile]: http://dr.jones.dk/me/index.rdf

[FreedomBox]: http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox