[foaf-protocols] web architecure for handoff chains.

peter williams home_pw at msn.com
Sat Mar 12 18:04:00 CET 2011

As I code, the samples give me two patterns (year 1 undergrad CS, 10 years
experienced architect).

In the simpler code, one writes clients by making a webClient object, and
filling in fields by fiddling around with strings of various formats. One
things as the http protocol level, that is, much like when scripting.

In the mode modeled code, even access to RESTful services using http verbs
is modeled, using metadata. Albeit in XML, the metadata tells the client to
(i) goto IDP at URI X, to get token meeting req XYZ, then (2) goto FP at URI
Y, to translate first token, and then (iii) present translated token using a
www-authorization header. The sequence of required handoffs is in metadata
that is, which drives the metadata-aware client.

Now, how do I do that in web architecture?

I ask, as the metadata model used is static largely - being one in which a
static code-builder uses the instructions to build a static proxy linked to
the app, that the https app then uses by delegation to walk the chain of
token handoffs.

Im going to assume that folks would say, that https apps don't perform this
role. Rather, one should use a relatively dumb browser to go to a web site
(over an single https tunnel, with single webid in support), whose RDF app
then performs all the meta-data driven behaviours, REMOTELY.

Is this the right way to think?