[foaf-protocols] webid group said... something interesting

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Mar 22 18:27:54 CET 2011

On 3/22/11 12:40 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 22 March 2011 17:34, peter williams<home_pw at msn.com>  wrote:
>> Take away from the webid group call.
>>

>> It’s pointless talking about the letters rdf in a browser group (opera
>> excepted), as folks are still scarred by wars over a decade ago.
>>

>> RDFa is “just about” a discussable topic – because its rendered like HTML
>> and works with today’s browsers. It doesn’t set the pulse racing, and eyes
>> rolling.
> I do like RDF but for some reason the brand isnt as powerful as some
> others, such as the Web itself.

Because its the wrong thing to talk about.

Why not talk about the underlying Concept of Linked Data Structures at
InterWeb scale driven by a Conceptual Schema. Then should the "what is a
conceptual schema?" question arise explain how its based on Logic i.e.
first-order logic. Then when they question that, explain to them that
"God created Logic" :-)

>   I tend to use the term html5 to talk
> about the data layer of the web, as people seem to have more interest
> in that branding.  Under the hood it's all the same thing, though.

The Web is evolving from an Information Space  where Linked Data
Containers Names and Addresses are indistinguishable (URI/URL can be
used interchangeably without confusion) to a Data Space where each
Object has a URI based ID (Name Ref) that resolves to the URL/Address or
its Representation. In addition, Representation is Negotiable, so RDF
format fixation is inherently contradictory.

If we speak clearly in a manner that reestablishes the fact that the WWW
is part of an computer technology innovation continuum we'll hit less
friction. If we  gobbledygook via "RDF or nothing" narratives then
confusion will reign, inertia will rise, and deservedly so IMHO.

Nothing under the sun made by man is truly new, bar context. Context
switching is how we make and extend continuums. Let's build bridges to
other realms, make connections with these realms by connecting
terminology i.e., we should learn the vocabulary of others rather than
imposing ours for sake of convenience.

Kingsley