[foaf-protocols] webid group said... something interesting

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Wed Mar 23 01:57:50 CET 2011

On 3/22/11 7:43 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2011, at 23:13, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/11 4:46 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>> Also think how much responsibility Google has with the work it has currently. For large companies like that some simple things become very difficult: because you need to maintain the reliability on which your reputation is built for example.
>> Yep!
>>> And then some things cannot be done by single companies at all. They require a mental transformation by many actors together. You can't build a democracy by being a dictator: it is very difficult to order people to think for themselves. :-)
>> Yes, and sometimes the SemWeb community needs to remember that too re. dictatorship as exemplified by RDF overeach and covert mandates:-)
> I don't really see that.  There is not much of a dictatorship there as far as I can see, unless you think as Plato did, that Philosophers should run the affairs of the state.

Not here. My comments were generalized beyond this group.

> The semweb community has done the theoretical work very well. What remains are practical implementations that touch everybody, something that academia is not interested in. Academia as Peter Williams said is interested in looking at issues that are 10-20 years ahead of their time. Market based implementations is what our role is. And it is we who have failed here.

If you mean failure to focus and support pragmatic solutions, then yes,
I agree. Thus, we use WebID to demonstrate that things are changing for
the better.

> We should stop discussing the theory and produce working, interoperable structures.

Yes.

> What is needed there are
>
>   - appealing and viral use cases
>   - test cases to make sure we interoperate
>   - build recursively from the small to the more complex

Yes!

> To do this we don't need to convince Joe Web2.0 of anything. We just need to make really good products that do something that no one else can do.
>
> Action speaks louder than words.

You build markets by making opportunity costs of non participation
palpable. This will be the case re. WebID explosion, in due course :-)

Kingsley
> Henry

President&  CEO