[foaf-protocols] new sequence diagram

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Tue Nov 22 18:38:36 CET 2011

On 11/22/11 12:19 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

> I went looking for my implementation "platform" - i.e. code 95% done,
> to which I add the webid validation protocol. I found it in the WIF
> SDK (a sample from Microsoft, with installers and configuration
> scripts that configure the "pipeline" platform "professionally'), and
> its similar to what I see others doing when showcasing then what the
> webid 1.0 spec adds. Its not just another php script on apache, then;
> but does something that show what Windows can and cannot do, in the
> hands of third parties. IN the hands of Microsoft engineers, obviously
> lot's more is possible.
>
> It's a simple little ajax page, whose javascript access a second page
> on the same site to obtain an HTML fragment, which is duely rendered
> in the DOM by the browser. An existing login interceptor guards that
> process, redirecting to an IDP (much like foafssl.org) to get an
> assertion back that authorizes the minting of a web session, that in
> turn becomes a cookie-based ticket that can be posted-back to
> re-authorize the web session in a stateless app. At the IDP site, the
> login page will require a client cert over https, and perform the
> webid validation protocol. It will send back to the requestor the
> results of its finding, much as foafssl IDP used to assert back to
> foaf.me.
>
> Unless someone can find a basis for objection, I dont believe that
> violates any of the webid assumptions, about the kind of design that
> one SHOULD be using. Each of the other 10+ sample seem to violate some
> or other design precept (by using CAs, using AD-managed trust
> relations, being all about SOAP, using JSON tokens in the HTTP auth
> header, using chains of asserting parties, and other violations of
> principle).
>
> Now, all I need is a .net library that can build a graph given an RDFa
> document source to a URI. The spec doesnt actually say that suppprting
> RDFa is mandatory, but I think the webid community is moving that way.

It shouldn't be doing so. That's unnecessary data representation format
and syntax specificity. An EAV/SPO graph based representation of a data
object (resource) can be negotiated.

> This is the missing piece now on windows. The turtle and RDF/XML cases
> were easy (I just reused the 50 lines of script I did 2+ years ago,
> and the supporting library). The issue now is RDFa.

Hmm. Why the specificity when what you need is a local representation of
a directed graph comprised of de-referencable hyperlinks? Have you
looked at what's happening on the JSON front? For instance JSON-LD [1].

> All the issues I used to struggle with on windows have gone away. Im
> not sure I ever succeeded, but they forced me to built my own
> listener, own thread engine etc. They were all about webid (then
> foaf+ssl) rejigging https/SSL (particularly the zero DNs in the CA
> list, from the server). None of these are in the modern spec, however.
> Thus, I believe that the bog-standard windows platform is suitable for
> a webid demo.

Yes, of course it is. In your case you want to build or reuse .NET
components.
> As other implementation code has shown, a bit of php script supported
> by the Graphite library is really all one needs to deliver. In my
> case, subsitute PHP script with ASP.NET script, and find an equivalent
> .net library to Graphite.

As per comments above, yes. That's always been the case.

Links:

1. http://json-ld.org/ -- notice C++ and JS implementations of parsers